No product in cart
The_Shrub_Coat_Admin - on March 17, 2016
Someone You Should Know – Resident is inventor, business owner
By Andrea Kimbriel
The Clarence Bee – Your Community Newspaper
Steve Bakowski recently received a U.S. patent for his invention, The Shrub Coat. It provides reusable winter protection from the elements and deer for trees and shrubs.
“Every time I went through a trade magazine, I would go through thinking “there must be something out there”’ he said. However, he decided to invent something himself after he realized there wasn’t anything like the shrub coat on the market. He also came up with aShrub cover and “Stake-It-Easy”, a staking kit for small trees, shrubs and inflatable decorations.
The Clarence resident has been in the nursery business for more than 20 years. “I worked in the industry for 10 years as a laborer and then in 1986, I decided that I really like working outside. I really liked working with plants” he said. He enrolled at Alfred State College and received a degree in ornamental horticulture. After graduation, he knew he wanted to work for himself and started his own business.
Now a certified nursery and landscape profession, he owns Beaver Landscaping Inc., in Clarence NY, which he said offers high-end installation and maintenance. In addition to tree and shrub work, he can create such features as pond less waterfalls, patios and fire pits. Bakowski said he enjoys enhancing the beauty of someone’s property and seeing his work years later, as it matures with proper maintenance.
“I don’t want to sound corny but I bring someone’s dream to reality for their homes” he said. He also assisted the community with making tree donations to the campus of Kids Escaping Drugs, in West Seneca. He also helped spearhead Arbor Day at the Olmstead Parks Conservancy, where volunteers did a million dollars of work in one day in the Olmstead parks.
Bakowski was recently awarded the Man of the Year Award from the Western New York State Nursery and Landscape Association. He said he has helped run the Plantasia flower show for the organization for several years but was surprised to get the award. It recognized his contributions to nursery industry and his facility for “getting things done.”
Bakowski’s Shrub Coats are manufacture in WNY and assembled by handicapped adults in Depew working with Southeast Works. More information can be found at shrubcoat.com.
- 4 ft Birdseed Catcher $47.99
- 3 ft Shrub Coat - pyramidal shape $35.00
- 6ft Shrub Coat - pyramidal shape $35.00
- 8 ft. Circular Clip Catcher $82.00
- 6X10 ALL SEASON MULTI PURPOSE SCREENING $45.00
- 3'x3' Shrub Cover - cylinder shape $40.00
- "Worlds Strongest Stake" Stake it Easy Tree Staking Kit $12.99
- 6'x4' SHRUB COVERS - cylinder shape $57.00
- 5'x3' Shrub Cover - cylinder shape $48.00
- 4'x4' SHRUB COVERS - cylinder shape $47.00
- 3'x2' SHRUB COVERS -cylinder shape $38.00
- 3'x2' SHRUB COVERS - cylinder shape $38.00
- 2'x2' SHRUB COVERS - cylinder shape $29.00
- Custom Made Hedge Covers Call For Price
- 5' X 3' RECTANGULAR CLIP CATCHER $37.99
- 5' CIRCULAR CLIP CATCHER $37.99
- 3' CIRCULAR CLIP CATCHER $33.99
- 3' BIRD SEED CATCHER WITH STAKES $39.99
- 12" BLACK PLASTIC ABS STAKES $1.75
- 3' X 10' ALL SEASON MULTI-PURPOSE SCREENING $38.00